Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Not over til it's over

I knew there had been a Violet-crowned Hummingbird being seen recently at a home in Sanderson, but had no intention of going to see it.  BUT, when there was mention of a possibility that it might be a first US record of an Azure-crowned Hummingbird I had to chase it just in case. Sanderson is less than 100 miles from here in Alpine. The weather was nice in Alpine so I didn't take anything except a light jacket. But a cold front had blown in at Sanderson and it was not only cold, but no sunshine, which meant I couldn't get satisfactory pics. By the time I got back to Alpine it was a confirmed Violet-crowned though. I've seen that species quite often before, even had one at the oasis in Dec of 2011. Mine was the 19th Texas record and this one is #20.


On the way home, 20 miles east of Marathon, I saw a large flock of Wild Turkeys crossing the road. Accidentally had my camera set on video, so here it is.

2017 12-14 (1)

Then between Marathon and Alpine I ran into a small rain storm. I didn't want to stop for a photo so just held my camera at the window at 70 MPH. First time I tried doing that. Not too bad. 



3 comments:

  1. Glad you got to see it. And, you have one above your bed! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet! And the best one is above my bed in Alpine. I keep it here because I don't have to worry about silverfish here. I love that Violet-crowned you painted for me better than any photo of one. And it's of the one I had at CMO which makes it even more special. A photo of it is posted on Dec 24th 2011. Worth seeing often so I think I'll add it to my next post.

    ReplyDelete