Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Baby Elf Owl

I believe a baby Elf Owl left the nest about 11 days ago (see post of Jun 17) due to extremely hot weather. This may be the same one. If so, it's surviving, though I don't know how it can be. Not because the adults don't feed it, but it stood on the ground for hours today. Surely something will make lunch out of it.


I just went down long enough to water so couldn't really monitor it. It doesn't appear to be able to fly. It let me get closer than I should have been able to, like about six feet away. If I went closer it would hobble off a little ways farther.

Here's a butterfly that I photographed at Marathon's Post Park a few days ago. I think it's a Julia's Skipper, which would be my first from Brewster Co. I saw that species in East Texas last year.





No comments:

Post a Comment