Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Great butterfly year so far

By mid-March 2016 I had only documented 10 species at CMO. By March 8th of this year I've already documented 43 species. That's an incredible difference.  Even taking into consideration that Brian wasn't here until late April last year and this year he was here in early March, resulting in 10 of those documented by him that I wouldn't otherwise have seen up on top of the mountain, it's still a huge difference. Hope this year continues being a record butterfly year. Here's a Mormon Metalmark (Apodemia duryi) from today. I've posted this species several times before but not on a Desert Marigold flower. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.


I couldn't figure out what this was but I'm thinking it has to be a robberfly of some sort. I guess I've seen them perched before but never nectaring.






1 comment:

  1. Bee fly!! There are a bunch of different ones though... http://bugguide.net/node/view/103709/bgpage that's probably not even broad enough.

    ReplyDelete