Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Lucifer Hummingbirds are back

Around noon today I had a sprinkler going when I heard a hummingbird. Got all excited thinking it was a record early Lucifer. Then when, through binoculars, I located it preening deep inside some bushes, I didn't see a curve to the bill and saw lots of rufous on what I took to be the wing or tail. Before I could really study it (as in still and dry), it flew way up to the top of a distant tree. Nevertheless, I figured any picture I could get would be better than none so I shot away. And as fast as it arrived, it departed. By then, I had dejectedly decided it was a female Rufous.



Then, after downloading the photos, poor as they were, I could tell it was a Lucifer. Got re-excited. I believed it was an early record by two days. But Kelly Bryan, (what would I do without him?) informed me that it isn't an early record. I had observed a male and female on February 23, 2013, and on the 26th he caught the previously-banded male.

At any rate, for me, spring is officially here! I'm almost totally recovered from my flu. Gonna go up the mountain tomorrow, as it's supposed to be another lovely day.



2 comments:

  1. Glad it's back. Early Spring. Be careful on the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I worry about going up alone only because of Mountain Lions, no other reason. I figure they're more afraid of me than I am of them, but still, it's really isolated up there.

    ReplyDelete