Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, October 24, 2016

Lots of winter birds at CMO

Got up early and set up a sprinkler and couldn't believe all the birds it attracted. Three species of spizella sparrows: Clay-colored, Brewer's, and Chipping.


Didn't get a shot of the Brewer's. Only saw one Lucifer Hummingbird still around today, this juvenile male. Couldn't get all his gorget feathers, such as they are, to fluoresce on the same shot. He's a cutie.

                             

A couple unexpected species were an Oregon Junco and Gray-headed Junco. Last year I didn't have any juncos, and other years I usually have mostly the Pink-sided subspecies.


Only saw the Oregon Junco at a distance, so not a good shot.


 Hoping that some of the good species will stay the winter. Like a Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher, and Spotted Towhee. I know the Green-tailed Towhee will stay. They do every year.

Tomorrow I intend to head for the valley. I stress a little about the trip. I don't like to travel, but it beats sitting here for the next five months without any decent oding, or butterflying.


No comments:

Post a Comment