Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Hummingbird banding day

Kelly Bryan banded at the oasis today. We were hoping for more juvenile Lucifers but perhaps due to the 3½ months without rain, and constant triple digit temperatures, nesting may not have been very successful yet. If monsoonal moisture comes, there's still time for another nesting. Here's the only juvenile at my place today, as far as I know. A male with his first gorget feather.


Kelly caught several more at a banding site 3 miles south of the oasis. That location received several rains that just missed me. I don't know if that's the reason, but the thought did occur to me.

Thinking about going odeing somewhere tomorrow. If I keep going to the same places, I get the same species, so contemplating places around Balmorhea. Have never looked for odes there.

In town, our Red Bird-of-Paradise is slowing coming along. In a few years it might make a lovely bush.



No comments:

Post a Comment