Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Ocotillo blooming

I was surprised to see Ocotillo blooming already. That will make it difficult to see Lucifer Hummingbirds at the feeders, although visiting birders did see that one occasionally today. I went down the arroyo a couple of times to see if the one male was on his territory there but saw nothing. And nothing on the cam, so I guess the hummers aren't big enough to trip the shutter. I moved the feeder way closer to the cam. Did see a couple new butterflies for the year. One was what I call a Mexican Metalmark (of the Mormon Metalmark complex).*



Yesterday I saw a Duskywings and saw it again today but not fast enough to get a decent photo. I'm sure before the month is over I'll get a photo of it. Here's my year's butterfly list so far.

I saw another Henry's Elfin today. Don't know if it's the same one or not. It looks a little different to me.


*I researched what I had written about the Mormon Metalmark complex (posts of June 20, 2015 & June 12, 2014) and remember the problem with calling this a Mexican Metalmark is that the Fatal Metalmark used to be called the Mexican. So I'll just call this one the Dury's (duryii). 



No comments:

Post a Comment