Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Unexpected Alpine bird

Stuck in town I was wandering around the ponds when I heard a double call note that I had never heard before. It was coming from a walnut tree at the edge of a pond. It continued quite a while until I finally located the bird and saw that it was either a Winter or Pacific Wren. To tell them apart I would need a recording. That's one area I'm really weak in. I went to the house and fetched my Lumix. Relocated the bird in a willow tree overhanging the other pond.


But, as luck would have it, I couldn't get it to vocalize. Will try again tomorrow. I caught one faint chip note from it but not audible enough to really hear good on the video.


European Starlings are junk/trash birds but are still rather pretty. I see that I've never posted a photo of one before, so here is one I photographed today. Probably a non-breeding male.




No comments:

Post a Comment