Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Odessa / Pecos / Alpine

Turned out to be a good day, other than NO RAIN.

At Odessa the dentist said I had been abusing my implants, one in particular, but that no permanent damage happened. He adjusted my bite so that one won't get the full impact and I should be good to go if I don't treat my implants like natural teeth. I'm guilty of that. I even confessed to him that I had used my Dremel tool on a place that bothered me, which probably altered the psi negatively. All good now. I think I can tell the difference already.

Was eager to get to the Pecos River and odes. Husband very impatient in the car. I saw one Seaside Dragonlet but it disappeared before I could photograph it. I didn't mind too much because it was a male and I already have a photo of a male. A better one would always be better, and I wanted a female pic. Did not get any lifers, but there were lots of dragonflies. The river had flash-flooded recently, probably last night, so it was very muddy along the banks from the receding water. Almost all the dragonflies there were Variegated Meadowhawks, one of our regions most numerous species. But it was fun anyway.

Variegated Meadowhawk

Lots of Powdered Dancers and Blue-ringed Dancers, but no Paiute Dancer. That's OK. Gives me a good excuse to keep stopping there.

At Alpine I found several Praying Mantises on feeders. I removed them. I've seen video of them killing hummers and have no desire to observe it first hand.


Tomorrow CMO. Kelly had to cancel banding for this week due to jury duty.


No comments:

Post a Comment