Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, July 2, 2015

All work and no play

I figure if I spent this much time every year drying fruit it would equal about one-tenth of my life. Hard to even imagine spending one-tenth of my life drying fruit.

Got up at 5 AM and made it almost to the oasis before the sun came up. Watched the sunrise driving east on Terlingua Ranch Road, about 7 miles from my destination.


Spent four hours watering and servicing my hummingbird feeders, then headed back to town to start picking peaches. Tomorrow we'll go for what I hope will be the last of the apricots. I'm dismayed to see that our apples are ready to dry too. I had been hoping for a break.

Was relieved to observe the bear hadn't returned to CMO. He will, I'm sure, when the acorns are ready. Before then I have to tie the oak tree limbs so his weight won't break them like happened last year. Or maybe it was the year before.

I toted my heavy Canon while watering, just in case. Not much happening. Too hot and dry. Normally it would take me 8 hrs to water but with the reserves so low I'm just giving things enough to keep them alive until it rains. That's the plan anyway.

Here's a Black-tailed Gnatcatcher I saw while watering.


I saw a juvenile male Lucifer Hummingbird too, but didn't manage to get a photo. We'll be banding Tuesday, so will likely have him in hand then.


No comments:

Post a Comment