Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Doing my thing

Everywhere I walk at the oasis I encounter Sunflower Goldeneyes doing their thing. After they stop blooming I'll at the least prune them out of the walkways.

 

 Saw my first fall/winter sparrow today, a Savannah. (Not including year-round species.)


A Belted Kingfisher and Red-naped Sapsucker have been hanging around lately, too. That time of year. I do my thing; nature does its thing. But such a weird thing this bug is. The antennae are so long I couldn't get them all in the frame. I wonder what its thing is.



2 comments:

  1. Regarding your "mystery bug" -- I knew immediately it was a Katydid, but which one? My first thought was either of a pair of Shieldback Katydids I'm familiar with: the Two-lined Shieldback (Eremopedes bilineatus) or the Mescalero Shieldback (Plagiostira mescaleroensis). But the shape and other details seemed to rule out the Shieldbacks. Then I check into the Short-winged Katydids, and I think I found your critter: the Mountain-dwelling Short-winged Katydid (Dichopetala oreoeca). Very cool insect, with a very restricted range in the US! See http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/walker/buzz/102a.htm, where you can even listen to the calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up that link and am really excited. Thank you so much for identifying it for me. You nailed it!

      Delete