Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Parasitized damselflies


Modesta Canyon Trail (1.75 miles)

The hike into Modesta Canyon features permanent springs and pools, fascinating geology, and a rich display of flora and fauna. Here you’ll find huge madrone trees, majestic southwestern chokecherries, and some of the largest Tracey hawthorns in the state. Over 17 species of ferns are found tucked into crevices along the canyon walls. This 1.75 mile, moderate to difficult hike, is a favorite for those who love plants and birds.

I visited Modesto Canyon again today, but this time went mid-morning. The mosquitoes drove me away quicker than I had intended. Instead of eating my lunch by the big madrone tree as planned, I ate it while hiking out. So I didn't get the dreamed for photos, but did snap some of damselflies infested with [red] water mites.


Researching the situation I found this information, so it's a little reassuring. 

 "water mite parasitism does not reduce damselfly survivorship, but it could reduce male mating success in some circumstances."

No comments:

Post a Comment