Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, August 18, 2014

Down the food chain

I dragged Kelly to Lajitas today to look for dragonflies. Well, he didn't exactly go kicking and screaming. But rain threatened so we only had a couple of hours to look. But I shall return soon. Here's an Eastern Pondhawk chowing down on a blue colored damselfly. It's not unusual to see a bird eating a dragonfly.... I posted a photo of that some time back, but never one of a dragonfly eating a damselfly. Looks like there's an extra wing there somewhere that obviously belongs to the damselfly. It's probably a Familiar Bluet. They're the most numerous.





























A few other odonate photos from today, though did not locate my growing list of target species, namely, Halloween Pennant, Bronzed River Cruiser, and that Leaftail species.

Kelly tells me the next one is a Rambur's Forktail. I'm really confused on the damselflies. My photo archives are so mislabeled it's pitiful. Maybe someday I'll get better at this and be able to label them more accurately. I'm so lucky to have Kelly teaching me. Otherwise, I would have given up. He's incredibly patient.

Male Rambur's Forktail
Female Rambur's Forktail
And this next one is a Desert Forktail, I believe.


And last, but not least, I'll post a butterfly for Brian. I photographed several today, but all were common species. This is a Western Pygmy-Blue, a very tiny species.



No comments:

Post a Comment