Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, May 29, 2014

The artist in me

Finally got back to CMO and things are slow here too. I guess with it hot and dry, not much is going to happen until it rains. Everything is just surviving and waiting, myself included.

female Lucifer Hummingbirds
I imagine if there were any rainbows, they'd be waiting for rain too. 

Meanwhile, I have to be doing something creative. My whole life I've painted and written. As a child I submitted a poem to a kid's Disney contest, expecting to win first prize. When I received "honorable mention," I assumed they sent that to every entrant that didn't place, and it meant nothing. I'd never even heard of "honorable mention," but I didn't like the sound of it. In a childish snit, I tore up the document, or letter, or whatever it was, and threw it away. Wish I had it now. (The name of my poem was "The Pitcher Plant.")  I've written a couple of novels that didn't get published, and now I'm happy to just use my writing urges blogging.

Since I started the oasis, I've considered the earth my canvas and the shovel, pick, etc. as my paintbrushes, so have quit painting portraits, and have no desire to ever start it up again. However, I still do craft-ish things when something tempting falls into my lap. Someone gave my husband a neat car magnet that he was going to throw away. I decided to re-purpose it into a refrigerator decoration. Since my kitchen colors are red and yellow, and since my refrigerator was already painted yellow, I painted the magnet red. Here's the before:


And here's the after:


At 11" x 16," it just about covers the freezer compartment of my old refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment