Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, May 23, 2014

Good to be back home

Derek Muschalek had birded here before, but either I didn't know, or didn't remember, that he's extremely knowledgeable on butterflies (has even led butterfly tours in Mexico). But I took notice when, while birding the oasis, he casually mentioned seeing Juniper Hairstreaks. He had found them on my blooming Soapberry trees, which I didn't even know were attractive to butterflies. I know birds don't pay the Soapberries much attention. So I'm a happy camper adding that species to my life list, though Brian had already documented it for the oasis.






















Derek also found me a Palmer's Metalmark. It's not a new species here; Brian has found it here for me before, but still a nice find, in my estimation.






















Now, for the next couple weeks, I'm going to be searching the Soapberry blooms for other species. They've just now begun to bloom, so I haven't missed any yet. I'm hoping for other hairstreaks, such as Sandi, Soapberry, and maybe Xami.

There was one new species for the oasis today, although I have seen it before in Alpine. That's a Sachem Skipper.



Bird-wise, migration is over. A pair of Bewick's Wrens seem to be carrying nesting material to an agave stalk right beside the viewing area. I don't know how that will work out for them, but will surely make a nervous wreck out of me.


1 comment:

  1. I've seen them nest in a dog bag dispenser at the entrance of a trail where dogs are common, so I wouldn't worry too much.

    ReplyDelete