Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Now a Broad-billed Hummingbird at Lajitas

I went to Lajitas yesterday to hang a bigger hook for the bigger feeder I had put up, and while there, I briefly saw a female hummer with red at the base of its lower mandible. I figured it must be a Broad-billed Hummingbird, but for some reason I had it in my mind that they were larger than an Anna's. Come to find out, if anything, they're smaller. So the only thing to do was force myself to go back early this morning and try for a photo. It was still not light enough for good photos, so I ramped up the white balance on my camera, which resulted in poor photos, but good enough for documentation. It's not a review species or anything, but still one I very seldom get to observe.


1 comment:

  1. I hope that we accidentally run into you when we make our trip there on the 10th. We will definitely make runs to Lajitas to check out the hummers.

    ReplyDelete