Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Swamp Sparrow

Hubby went fishing due to lovely weather so I got to come back to the oasis sooner than planned. A great Christmas bonus, I'd say. I was surprised to see a couple of different birds here, including a Fox Sparrow and a Swamp Sparrow. I've had both species here before, but this is the first photos I've ever gotten of a Swamp Sparrow.












































A very secretive and hard to photograph species (for me, anyway), and taken from farther away than I would have preferred..

I plan to splurge the second day of my 3 "bonus" days by going to Lajitas tomorrow. I'll take some sugar water with me just in case Kelly's feeders there are empty. Since I had my work caught up here I may bird Rio Grande Village in the park the following day. It's always been one of my very favorite birding places, but such a long drive to get there. And that'll be the last of my 3 "bonus" days. Time sure flies.

I was going to go to Lake Balmorhea today to see the Red-necked Grebe that's there, but discovered my scope wasn't in my vehicle like I thought it was, so couldn't go. The first thing I did upon arriving at the oasis this morning was put the scope into my pickup, where I resolve to keep it. If the grebe continues at Balmorhea, I'll plan a trip there for next week. It's hard to juggle living in two places, one closer to Balmorhea, the other closer to Rio Grande Village. Keeps life from getting dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment