Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Growing, growing, grown

Baby Orny. does not look like bird poop anymore. He's beautiful.

Photo courtesy of Brian Banker
I've been trying to find a place to order some little citrus trees that are cold hardy. I have a whole list of names of some, but no place that ships to TX. I might have to get creative, but I'm determined. I found some that are hardy down to 8° (Changshi Tangarine). That ought to do fine at the oasis. If we get really cold weather I can cover it during a blue norther. Just have to find a place in TX that sells them.

I'm growing some dark purple Desert Willows from seeds that I hope will thrive in my hummingbird garden, along with the Woolly Butterfly bush I bought. On the left side of this tray of desert willow seedlings is a cutting from a Butterfly bush. I heard they're easy to grow from cuttings. and this one seems to be fine.


 My hoptree (citrus family) is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. To be continued...

6 comments:

  1. Have you thought about Prickly Lime Ash AKA Toothache Tree Zanthoxylum hirsutum
    We have it wild in the Hill Country.Might do fine at the Oasis.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I looked it up and I think it's definitely worth a try.

      Delete
    2. Now I have to find a place that sells it. No luck online.

      Delete
    3. I Will check with the folks around here
      Jane

      Delete
    4. I found one so far but how to get to you?
      More in the spring..
      I will ask Bill if he has any small we can dig
      Jane

      Delete