Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Hoping for rain

The oasis was quite birdy this morning, probably migrants ahead of the impending front. I sure hope it brings some rain to the oasis. Here's the tank I need topped off, but the other tank needs a few inches too that were lost to evaporation.


Yesterday Kelly located a Cassin's Vireo that I would have liked to photograph. Although I relocated it this morning, it was too elusive for me to photograph. I got a few warblers for my efforts though.

Townsend's Warbler

Orange-crowned Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Saw this cute lizard on a lily pad. Don't know what kind it is though. Maybe a Trans-Pecos Striped Whiptail.




2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are getting dumped on now as I'm viewing the Satellite imaging which shows an extensive long line of moisture Freight Training it's way into your Texas region from well below off the coast of Southern Mexico. Looks like this could go on for days on and off.

    It's that tank concrete lined or is that simply alkali residue colouring around the edges of the pond or tank ?


    -

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Alpine this morning. My sister called me late last night and said we got a big rain. Can't wait to get down there and see how much I got. Yes, my tanks are concrete lined. I patch them every winter to try to keep them from leaking. One tank is 9' deep, and the other one slopes from 8'-12' I'll update when I get down there but have to help band hummers in Ft Davis this morning. I'm hoping my tanks are topped off, but if not I should be able to pump enough water from the dirt tanks to top them off. I'm a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete