Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, August 13, 2012

An oasis sort of day

After we banded at sites to the south, Kelly Bryan and I hung out at the oasis. Near triple-digit heat didn't deter us. An approaching cool front brought a few migrants ahead of it. I see more when Kelly's present, plus he IDs the stuff I can't. For example, we saw a contopus flycatcher, and I took one look and called it a Western Wood-Pewee. But Kelly set me straight real quick. It was an Olive-sided Flycatcher. A pretty distant shot... not one of my better ones.


I did better on dragonflies, photography-wise, not in identifying them. This one is a Common Whitetail.


And below is a Flame Skimmer.


And a lovely Roseate Skimmer


But enough of dragonflies. Here's an interesting bug that neither of us could ID, although Kelly said it's a wood eating bug. So pretty though. I guess it loves my mulch. Maybe even arrived with it.



4 comments:

  1. Your Buprestid is Lampetis drummondi. It's indeed wood-boring. That doesn't mean that it's a 'bad' bug. It's too human-centric to classify everything like that. Also, we humans would be buried deeply under dead and dieing trees without wood-eating insects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the ID. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack, it ate my comment - but I was going to confirm the Lampetis drummondi - gorgeous bug! We posted about them from the Chisos not too long ago... they're pretty flexible on their diets, so your place should be decent for it =) http://www.bigbendnature.com/2012/08/buprestidae-metallic-wood-boring-beetles.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great. That post of yours tells me it's a native beetle and not one that came with the mulch. Well, it is native mulch though.......

    ReplyDelete