Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Yesterday's rain update

We made a quick trip to the oasis this morning to check things out. I was glad to see I just got 1.5" rain and things didn't wash out too bad. The road is only passable with high clearance though. Hopefully, we'll get it fixed soon. The worst part is before our property and has to be fixed by the property owners' association. I used to maintain it, but the hostile neighbors forced the POATRI (Property Owners Association of Terlingua Ranch) to rescind my authority to do it, so now the POA has to maintain it. We'll see how that works out.

Anyway, other than that, it's nice to have everything brim full. Now that the weather is a bit cooler I'm hoping for some good growth. I'll keep you updated, of course.

UPDATE: This afternoon we got another shower, nothing heavy, thank goodness.


4 comments:

  1. Have you considered bringing in a few more very large plastic tanks to pump some of this water up into for storage? It seems like that would sure beat having to do the water hauling thing ever again.

    Chris Miller
    Our180.com - One Family's Journey To Finding True Happiness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've looked into it but it would cost about $30,000 and wouldn't hold that much water. My tanks hold about half a million gallons. In the past couple of weeks we've had enough runoff to fill them 100 times over. Last year was a record drought, but even still people in the area got rain, it just missed me every time. Hopefully, I won't get that unlucky again. Also I want to encourage a more drought tolerant habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow... I had no idea your tanks were THAT big! That's pretty impressive. I guess if you can keep the skeeters down you're probably golden then. I like your idea about shooting for a more drought tolerant place. In time, even natives can just slip away if not cared for - i can't imagine the care that goes into anything non-native.

    We're going to be working to turn our place into a bit of an oasis when we move down, I just don't really know where I want to begin. Some bigger trees would be nice, but I don't want to slave over them.

    Chris Miller
    Our180.com - One Family's Journey To Finding True Happiness

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you could start with a few fast-growing trees and then plant hardwoods that grow slower under them. That way you'd have a bit of shade for the good trees and a quicker habitat. Hackberries grow fast, but don't seem to be as drought-tolerant as soapberry and persimmon.

    ReplyDelete