Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, July 2, 2012

Soapberry tree

I'm so impressed with one particular Soapberry tree. It grew naturally along the arroyo close to where the diversion dam holds water when it rains. I've never watered it. Also at the edge of the arroyo where the dam holds back water is one I planted and water occasionally. Here is the one I've never watered and thought was dead two weeks ago...


And here is the one I planted. I do believe, though, if I hadn't watered it, it wouldn't have survived.


The oasis is starting to look good, but in a different way than before the drought. Not as lush, but perhaps more natural looking. Part of it is because I got rid of the grass and replaced it with mulch. I'm still fighting the emerging grasses though. And part of it is because there are lots of dead branches still on the trees, which is common to see in nature. But I'm a happy camper. And the mosquitoes are totally gone. It's like a miracle.  They're gone faster than in previous years. I know the gambusias and hordes of bats are mostly responsible, but I think it also has to do with the mulch versus grass. I'm wondering though if the grasses kept the ground cooler than mulch does. Hopefully the trees will make a canopy and it won't matter. Here is how the oasis looks today. Not bad! (If you don't compare it to the 2010 photo in the upper right corner of this page.)




2 comments:

  1. You are really making it look inviting. We are anxious to see it in September when we make our visit. That will be sometime during of the week of Sept 24.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be even more wonderful then, cooler, with more birds.

    ReplyDelete