Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hooded Oriole and others today

A male Hooded Oriole visited today. This species doesn't visit my oasis often; they're more likely to be seen closer to the Rio Grande River.


He foraged for a while in some Beebrush. Probably looking for insects. They have been known to visit hummingbird feeders, so maybe this colorful beauty will hang around. 

Another beautiful bird, that I don't appreciate enough because they're so common here, is the Blue Grosbeak. But he's a nice bird to practice photography on.


I was also practicing on a Lark Bunting in summer plumage, which is unusual for here. I was waiting for him to get turned in the light just right and when he did I triumphantly clicked the shutter. Nothing happened because my camera battery was dead. Bummer! So this rear view is all I have to show of him for my efforts.


The Green-tailed Towhees will be leaving any day now. I'll sure miss them until next winter.



3 comments:

  1. You haven't mentioned rain. There's been some out that way....did you get some in the oasis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the 14th I got nearly .3" so I didn't haul water for a couple of days, although that really only wet the mulch. But it was nice and cool. I plan to haul water tomorrow. I have some neighbors who have been hauling water to keep their plants alive and decided to quit. Too stressful. They don't have nearly as many as I have either. But I'm confident that rain is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you got a small break. I had hoped for more,as it seemed the best chance for you in a while.
    In the meantime, I think your bird photos are great.But can understand wanting to do better.
    Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete