Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, May 14, 2012

Christmas Mountains name
















I often get asked how the Christmas Mountains got their name. While there are no shortage of theories, the one that I find most believable is the following:

The mountains were originally called the Corazones by the Spaniards and appear that way on old maps. Pictured above is West Corazone Peak, taken from my place to the west of it. Corazone means "heart" in Spanish, and it's unknown why they called them that. Maybe they loved them. Maybe they thought the peaks, East and West Corazone were heart-shaped. Anyway, the earliest rancher in the Big Bend area was named John T. Gano. His G4 ranch covered most of southwestern Brewster County and was headquartered below the Window in the Chisos Mountains. By 1891 Gano's herd was estimated at 30,000 head. From  the headquarters his ranch hands could see the Corazone Mountains to the north. They desired to explore them, but never got a day off in which to do it. Finally, on Christmas day they got their much coveted day off and set out to explore the mountains. Thereafter, they called them the Christmas Mountains, as a tribute to their treasured day off.


5 comments:

  1. Glad to know the name of the mountain and the history. I got a photo of the mountain during my last visit and photoshopped it to look like an old western landscape. All I needed was a cowboy on a horse in the foreground. :) Such a cool setting on your property: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62242621@N08/6996938928/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sam, you're photo is awesome! Thanks for the link. I hope other readers check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend and I own 80 acres of the West Corazon Peak. The top of our property is in that picture (the peak). We our building an off the grid bed and breakfast. You can follow our adventures and progress at www.theshady80.blogspot.com. I currently work at a motel in town and I recommend bird lovers to go to your place and blog. Keep up the good work.:).

    ReplyDelete