Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Perseverance

I persevered and hauled water most of the day. And I also persevered in getting a shot of the mama Say's Phoebe at her nest in the courtyard... above the front door, actually. She just whined and refused to go near the nest with me around. Waiting motionless under my camo sheet I was sweating profusely, and my back and feet were killing me. But I was determined...


Finally, after what seemed like an hour, she (or he) made a quick visit to the nest but didn't feed the near-fledglings. I departed in a hurry so we could all get back to work.


Later, just before dark, I walked from the house to the oasis. Along the way I saw this scrawny deer eating dead sotol. Very sad.



At the oasis, at 8:45 PM, the Elf Owls came out. Their nest is in the tallest agave about 8 feet above the ground, facing west. It's hard to believe they're no bigger than a sparrow.



Elf Owl hole visible near center of photo.

Today is the first day ever that I've recorded 100° at CMO in April. Frightening!


2 comments:

  1. I had a feeling our little bout of moisture weeks back was going to run out...it did. I'm just appreciative we had some - we live on an artificial water security blanket in Abq. I hope you somehow get some rain before the monsoon season. You get incredible wildlife shots, in spite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. We have a chance of rain Sunday and Monday. Here's hoping!!!

    ReplyDelete