Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

To Santa Elena Canyon today

My plan was to go there and help birders locate the Nutting's Flycatcher and try for a shot of the flycatcher's open mouth. Sounded like a fun challenge.  

Life is what happens while you're making other plans. Whew! I tried every strategy I could think of to find that nutty bird. I'm positive I didn't miss it; it just didn't show up. Hopefully, tomorrow the birders from today, that are all going back, will find it. I can't go back tomorrow, but plan to on Thursday.

I took the Old Maverick Road to Santa Elena Canyon, as it's much shorter. However, dirt roads are slower...


...but it seems like the canyon is getting closer.


It is getting closer, isn't it?


Now why was it I agreed to drive the low-clearance town car?


I gotta be almost there, don't I? (It does look closer through my telephoto lens.)


Ah, my destination, at last.


Now the waiting game. I walked, I waited, I bushwhacked, I waited some more....


Buses loaded with teenagers came and went. Finally, I gave up the quest after the sun set behind the canyon wall. It disappeared around 3:30, I left around 5:00.

Wonderful scenery, wonderful companionship, how can I complain?


4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous scenery! Did the oasis catch any rain or snow this week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous. Santa Elena Canyon one of my favorite places. But I will get there at the end of February.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're coming soon. Hope to see you then.

    ReplyDelete