Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, December 19, 2011

Hibernating as best I can

I'm sure I've told you often enough how I hate cold weather, so I just mostly hung out at my computer today. Finished entering those old sightings on ebird. Most of them weren't usable because they lacked dates, or where they were seen. The devil's in the details and all.

I'm delighted that my son, who had planned to move away from Alpine, has decided to stay. That's a huge relief to me because he's always there for me in a pinch. And you know how frequently that happens to me.

That Allen's Hummingbird that Kelly banded, and then recaptured, is still here. I got a bad photo of him through a dirty window right before dark a while ago. It's not a good enough photo for me to see the band, but maybe tomorrow I can do better.


How about you all email me and tell me what you'd like to see more photos of?


10 comments:

  1. I like all your photos....but really like the scenery shots the best....
    I am just amazed at your dedication to this project of yours....Quite a commitment....Thanks for sharing it all with us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Allen's that KB banded is still here as well. We've also had two others, one of which is female.

    Hang in there this winter, we'll make it out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all your photos by the way, as well as your written narratives.

    This winter, RG Village still owes us a rare mexican vagrant species.

    What vagrant sp. would you like to see this winter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to see more pictures. I appreciate all the work you do on the site and look at it every day.
    Ron Carbaugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks for all the input. You've no idea how much it helps at a time when I was a bit down. Lots more pictures coming your way for sure. And Matt, how about a Nutting's Flycatcher? Remember that Myiarchus that was present when the Tufted was last year? Could it have been a Nuttings? Food for thought on a cold winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, would like to see pictures of all of your birds and any of the wildlife. But I am a great fan of the Big Bend, so any photos would be greatly enjoyed. I love your little stories, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still looking everyday. I love the closeup pictures of the birds and also the wildflowers/bushes. Thanks for sharing. Pat/Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again everyone. Hopefully, I'll have lots of blooming flowers and bushes to photograph next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn, I love the historical perspective on what the oasis used to be and what it is today - any and all of the old pictures are interesting!

    As for something rare showing up, I'm glad the Tufted Fly was so distinct - if we had to sift through empids to find one slightly different, I wonder 1) how many people would chase it, 2) how many people would bother to find the right bird, 3) how many people would challenge it - but never go out to investigate themselves and 4) how much it would be regretted! But I'd go for a frozen block of Sungrebe floating in the Rio... it's at least distinct and wouldn't be unprecedented. *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi, as far as I know, a Sungrebe has never been seen in Texas. Let's wish for something that IS unprecedented. Thanks for your input. I'll post some more of my old photos.

    ReplyDelete