Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Eagle story

We were going to take a huge trailer load of mulch to the oasis today (in a big borrowed trailer), but it turns out the recycling plant is closed until Tuesday, so we went anyway to fill feeders. I rode down with Hugh. About 20 miles south of town (right before Calamity Creek) we passed a Golden Eagle on the side of the road at a road-killed javelina. Hugh didn't see it and we were long past by the time I decided I should have demanded we stop and take a picture of it. (He doesn't stop automatically like I do). I don't have any photos by me of a Golden Eagle.

I forgot all about it until on the way back to town four hours later Hugh said, "there's that eagle you saw." This time I made him stop and turn around. I took some photos with the truck running hoping the Image Stabilization feature on my camera would compensate. The eagle wasn't eager to leave the javelina, not that he wasn't stuffed like a Christmas turkey, but that lift-off might not work so good for him.


When we got as close as we dared, and Hugh turned off the engine, I was going to change my ISO from 800 to 400 for a sharper shot, but just then the eagle attempted to take off. He labored across the highway and into some low brush. No majestic flight today. Per my Sibley bible I think it's a 2nd year bird.



PS- Yes, Hugh put the replacement tire on the water trailer for me while we were there. 

6 comments:

  1. Glad you got the ire replaced. Merry CHRISTmas.
    Ron Carbaugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. What good luck to see a Golden Eagle. I am glad you got the shots that you did. It will give you good memories. Merry Christmas from Ann and I.

    Bob Zeller

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. You bring up a good point, Bob. Photos do greatly enhance memories. I can think of a couple of good sightings I've had without photos and my memory of them are vague.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being at the right place at the right time.......great pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photo reminded me of the Golden Eagle my friends and I saw eating roadkill near the praire dog town just outside Marathon a few years ago. The wing span is massive, isn't it? What a sight. And things like this happen when you least expect it, making it that much more special.

    Carla Morey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Carla and acwhite. It makes me wonder what wonders I miss seeing.

    ReplyDelete