Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Alpine birds and bottle

I was given a "special" bottle to make into a hummingbird feeder by a special person (Martha Latta) who works at the Alpine recycle center. She's doing a bottle tree and wanted the bottle, but unselfishly gave it to me. Notice the word "special" is scultped in relief on the bottle. How cool is that?


My hummingbirds have dwindled down to 3 or 4, which is as it should be this time of year.

There has been a juvenile Yellow Warbler around for about 2 weeks. I didn't think much of it, but when I entered it into the ebird database it showed as rare for here this time of year. That surprised me so I thought I better document it with a photograph.


We're supposed to get rain down at my oasis in the next few days. Here's hoping! This is what my "stucco tank" looks like after I pumped out what I could salvage from the dirt tank a few days ago. This is about 3-4 thousand gallons and should last me into November during this cooler weather, if I don't get rain. Very nice reprieve from hauling in water.



4 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for the weekend. First time in a long time we have a good chance as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy/Odessa and AlpineOctober 7, 2011 at 8:03 AM

    Very cool bottle. Any idea what was in it originally?
    I continue to marvel at your perseverance and back-breaking hard work to keep your oasis going. So glad to hear you finally have some water down there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Judith and Sandy. I laboriously peeled the label off the bottle, but it was some kind of liqueur (per relief on opposite side of bottle) that I'd never heard of, and now I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get soaked on Sunday. You're ready, right? Beautiful bottle!

    ReplyDelete