Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, September 3, 2011

A new normal

I haven't posted for several days, so thought I'd better check in. Today was another day of hauling water and watering, as tomorrow will be. It's beginning to feel like normal.

My son from Alpine, Eric Faust, came down briefly with a friend, Herman, who it turns out we both have friends in common, Matt and Heidi  in Marathon. Small world. Not having heard from my other son from Austin, Leonardo Sonoqui, for months, I called him. He says he hasn't called because he checks my blog every day and feels up-to-date. That would be fine and dandy if he had a blog I could check. (He's a talented artist and photographer.)

Anyway, I got Eric to cut down some dead trees. He was in a hurry to get back to Alpine but I was glad to get the trees down even though it left me a huge mess to clean up. My chain saw broke before he got all the dead willows cut, but that saved me from overdoing myself. My former willow patch is going to become a mesquite thicket eventually. At least my mesquites are alive and green and don't require hardly any watering.

 Quite a few migrants are coming through ahead of the cold front. Chance of rain tomorrow (Sunday) and cooler Monday. Today was still triple-digit as I slaved away. Monday and Tuesday hummingbird banders will be banding here and at several other places in South Brewster County. They'll be staying in my guesthouse so I have a lot of work to get done tomorrow. I hope the headache I've been dealing with for 2 days is gone by tomorrow. I'll post some photos of something around here tomorrow, even if it's just my growing brush pile.




No comments:

Post a Comment