Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cooler, but WINDY

Kelly and Donna Bryan gave me this thistle seed feeder for my birthday in July. Today I saw my first finch (Lesser Goldfinch) at it.



I look forward to having more goldfinches around this winter, including American Goldfinches. The regular seed feeders attract House Finches, but they don't use this type, or the upside-down feeder, which is the reason for using them.

Here are a couple of other shots from today. The first is of the shade water feature. I have one in the sun for better photography, but the birds prefer the shade one. Knowing that I'll always have the water features, and at least a few trees even if it doesn't rain for another year helps me cope with the drought better. (Maybe if you click on the photo you can see the water trickling over the little "falls.")

                

This next photo is of the mulberry trees viewing area. Sometimes there are 10 or more people sitting there observing birds eating mulberries, even as recently as this spring, which seems eons ago. The mulberry trees are to the left of this view, not shown on this photo. The tree in the center is a Live Oak, alive, but sparce. The one on the right is a Little Texas Walnut, and in the background between them is an apricot tree. I've been surprised at how well the latter is holding up in the drought and heat.


        Below is a hummer at what seems to be the only flower on my place--


an anisacanthus sometimes called Desert-Honeysuckle. As for the hummer, it appears to be a selasphorus, either a Broad-tailed or Rufous. Sorry to disapoint those of you who think I know my hummers better. I'm still learning. This time of year there are lots of confusing juveniles that can be hard to distinguish from adult females.



No comments:

Post a Comment