Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, July 4, 2011

Lucifer Hummingbird in Alpine

I spotted a male Lucifer Hummingbird at the feeders late yesterday. It was too dark to take a decent photo but I did the best I could to document it. That's the first male LUHU I remember having in Alpine. Had a female once. The male hasn't been seen today. I was hoping to get a better photo in the daytime.


The domestic duck is sitting on a nest full of eggs again. Hope she's successful this time.

There's been a cute young Summer Tanager hanging around for a few days. Couldn't get close to him for a better photo.


Update: I later learned that a hummingbird lover who lives about 12 blocks away had a male LUHU at her feeders all day on July 3rd and 4th. Since I had mine near dark on July 3rd, it was possibly the same bird. She has blooming sage in her yard and if I've learned anything about Lucifers it's that they prefer flowers to feeders and are more likely to go to feeders where there are flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment