Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, July 18, 2011

Frog legs, anyone?

Just when I thought I was winning and could weather the drought by hauling in water from Terlingua Ranch Lodge, my water hauling truck broke down. Now the situation here is even more dire. Yesterday I got to my oasis, after a trip to Austin, gung-ho to haul water and save my trees. Still triple digit heat every single day! Not the rain I had expected while I was gone. The starter is out on the truck and it won't be a quick fix. My son came down from Alpine, begrudgingly, and took off the starter. It'll be a while before he can come and put on a new one, or fix the old one.

Meanwhile, I used half of my emergency water that was in the guesthouse tank, but in this heat, it's a paltry offering to my trees. Chance of rain again this weekend.....

Fall migration is starting and I haven't even had one summer rain yet. Here's my first Rufous on his way south. (Little white pin-feather on the chin denotes molt is beginning, I think)


The next photo is of a Varied Bunting that posed nicely for me.


Oh, the frog legs? Sorry, they're already taken. (The snake may be an E. Black-necked Garter Snake.)



No comments:

Post a Comment