Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Blue-throated Hummingbird

Well, we caught the one I reported on yesterday and Kelly banded it (his 1st male BLUH). Comparing the photos from the one I had in May I concluded it's not the same individual.


The above photos were taken after he was banded. Maybe he'll still be there in two weeks and I can get better photos. The hummer flew off to an ocotillo so this last shot is pretty distant.


We didn't see the hybrid Lucifer so my photos are it, as far as what we have to work with to ID it.



2 comments:

  1. Do you ever post your technique on getting such good pics. I have recently become interested in not only viewing birds but documenting through photos what birds I have seen. The quality of you pics is great.
    Keller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your compliment, Keller. I really appreciate it. I'm around such great photographers a lot, and believe me, my photos don't measure up. I'm quite an amateur. I just use my Canon Rebel with a Canon 100-400 zoom IS lens and set it on P. I usually leave the ISO on 800, so the only variable (I need simple)is the white balance. I usually take a few photos with it first and then adjust the wb until the next photo comes out exposed right. That's if the bird holds still that long. The more photos I take the better feel I have for how the wb should be set. I've learned to try for sun to my back as much as possible and get as close as possible. And take lots of photos hoping one will turn out, then delete the rest. I do a lot of work on them on photoshop, too.

    ReplyDelete