Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, June 24, 2011

Another grueling day

Got up around 5:30 AM (I hate getting up that early), left Alpine for my oasis, got there before 8 AM, filled feeders, then headed for Terlingua Ranch Lodge to buy water and haul it home. Did 3 trips.

My daughter from Austin visited during the heat of the day, only 106° today. Since the pumps are down in both tanks it took me 4 hours to water my trees with the 900 gallons I hauled today. But I'm WINNING!


That's my husband's pickup. My arm hurts from shifting it all day. But it's air-conditioned and has satellite radio. It  takes about 15 minutes to fill my 325 gallon tank. My place is 6 miles from the lodge. One round-trip takes me over an hour. Saw this big javelina in my water tank today. He was just laying in it when I first saw him, but he got up and ambled off when he saw me.


That was the new water I hauled in (to the leaky tank). Here is a shot of a couple of the many deer that were in and out of the tank with the old water in it. Note all the dried mud on the water's edge. I need to clean it out, but am truly not up to the task.


I had more I wanted to post today, but I'm too tired. Maybe tomorrow. The reason I said. "I'm winning," is because no trees have died yet. If they have, they don't know it yet.

5 comments:

  1. Carolyn, I am amazed at your efforts to maintain your oasis! You are are truly amazing! You mentioned that your pumps are down - do you always have to pick up water or is the fact that your pumps are down the reason you are having to pick up the water? You and your efforts probably save the lives of countless wild creatures, winged or otherwise. Please be careful in this unforgiving heat.

    Laura B (met you at Big Bend looking for Tufted Flycatcher!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Laura. Of course I remember you. The pumps aren't the reason I'm hauling water in. (I could always put a portable pump in the tanks. Watering with a portable pump bypasses the pressure tank and takes forever. So all I do is haul water and apply water.) It's just that I have no water. It's been many years since I've had to buy water, so I shouldn't complain. Part of the problem was that one of my two big tanks leaked. Hopefully, I've got it fixed. This is the first June since I built my oasis that it hasn't rained. And on top of that the record heat. Usually my place doesn't get above 100° more than a day or two per year. Every day this month has been above 100° Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hat is off to you. I thought my task was hard - I'm trying to keep about 400 newly planted trees alive at Anahuac NWR. I have to haul water only 10 miles. It takes me about two hours to haul about 100 gallons of water. I am using a small truck and tank. I'm hauling between 3 and 400 gallons each watering day. That is a lot easier than what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it is 114 at my place today behind Ghost Town and windy..kinda like a blast furnace! Only 107 tomorrow...can we call that a cold front?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, mkircus, it sounds like your job is harder. It takes me 2 hours to haul a load but my loads are 300 gallons. Not only that, but I have probably no more than 50 trees to keep alive. Good luck. Do you have a blog I can check to see your project?

    Frann, this is the first June I've ever experienced at my oasis where it didn't rain any at all. It's always hot until it rains. If it's any consolation, it's just as hot all over the Big Bend.

    ReplyDelete