Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Alpine habitat

My Christmas Mountains Oasis is twice as old as the habitat I'm working on in Alpine (nearly 16 years versus 8 years). At CMO I started with nothing, whereas, in Alpine there were 2 ponds and a neat row of Desert Pines already there. While I'm sure some of the recent nesting activity at CMO is a result of maturing habitat, in Alpine I'm not sure if bird numbers are up because of maturing vegetation, or because of the drought. Probably a little of both.

Seen today were Painted Buntings, an Indigo Bunting, a late migrating White-crowned Sparrow (oriantha), MacGillivray's Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Yellow-rumped (Audubon's) Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat, plus more migrants and all the regular yard birds. Thirty-one species in all. The only hummingbirds are about 15 Black-chinneds. And this female Common Yellowthroat was more cooperative than the male I saw a few days ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment