Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, April 4, 2011

Mountain climb

I climbed the mountain overlooking my oasis hoping to find Lucifer Hummingbird nesting activity. Didn't find any at all. Things look bleak and dry, especially the cholla where I would expect Lucifer nests. Too much cold, too much drought, but when the summer rains come they'll probably rebound. Ocotillo were blooming, as were a few Claret Cup cacti.


There was an interesting nest hanging from a yucca. It may be partly detached and hanging, not in its original position. My best guess is that it was a Scott's Oriole's last year's nest that came loose on one side.


 While I'm ever mindful of snakes, I didn't see any until I got back to my vehicle on the road. I guess it's a Big Bend Patchnose.


The grueling  four hour ordeal really wore me out, and it was very windy. The terrain is incredibly rugged. I'm getting too old to lug my camera and other gear up that mountain, that's for sure.


5 comments:

  1. Please try not to go up there alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your concern. I would definitely prefer to have someone with me, but it doesn't always work out that way. I'm very experienced with this country and do take all precautions, including gun and satellite phone. My heavy camera is the killer weight, but I can't bear the thought of missing out on good photo ops. My next planned climb is for mid-May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the snake photo! I could sit and watch your black-necked garters all day (and last time nearly did!) but I'd like to get to know the other herps of the region, so diverse and well adapted =)

    We're probably going to head to the park tomorrow, but hope to join your quest for Lucifer-nest-spotting in the future; just let us know when things are looking good around a Tues/Weds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a perfect solution, Heidi. I can't believe I didn't think of it. Mark May 17 or 18 on your calendar. We're gonna do it. I'm holding you to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carolyn. I just recently found your blog and have joined the Coffeehouse site. I absolutely love your place. The desert holds a special beauty and I wanted to tell you I think your place is wonderful. I really hope I can make a trip down sometime and meet you.

    ReplyDelete