Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, April 25, 2011

Another eventful day at CMO

I went down to my oasis early in the morning. First thing I noticed was the Yellow-headed Blackbird that we had seen on April 22-23 (photo on previous post). This time he was floating in the tank, deceased. In hindsight I realize he had been rather lethargic. Anyway, I wanted him out of the tank. I had not waded into the tank lately because if it was nearly empty I didn't want to know it. I had estimated it had about 3' of water left. I've been afraid to water my trees because it might not rain until August and I need that water if things start to wilt. Basically, I'm just rationing severely. Just enough to keep things alive. So now I had incentive to wade into the tank and retrieve the bird (for science). As I had estimated there was close to 3' of water there, so it could have been worse.

We saw well over 50 species today, but only 3 or 4 species of warblers. If that number doesn't increase dramatically in the next few days I'm going to assume they bypassed this area because of drought, or winds took them right on past. Here are a couple of shots I took today.

Lark Sparrow

Hey, Mom, what's for dinner?

And look what I have pooping on my courtyard floor. Click to enlarge if you're so inclined.




2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, my current freezer birds are leaving on Tuesday morning, looks like you might have to hold on to the YHBL for a while! Love the bats, any idea what species they are?

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told these bats are Big Brown Bats.

    ReplyDelete