Click any photo to enlarge

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

State of the electric poles

I'm in the process of relocating the top parts of the cut off poles. Here is one I planted at the corner of the parking lot, which we "resurfaced" with the sand and gravel we removed from the settling pond (see post of Jan 24). View looking NNE.


View looking west below.


New power lines heading toward Lajitas and other places. Previously bordering my oasis on the south side, they're now at least a block further to the south. 


I'm very concerned that Elf Owls and Ash-throated Flycatchers will arrive in a few weeks and won't have enough nesting places. Eventually Ladder-backed Woodpeckers will make holes in the new poles, but meanwhile.....  I guess I better prevail upon my husband to help me make a bunch of nestboxes to attach to the cut-off poles (bottom halves) so there'll be options for the above mentioned species. Right now the only holes are in the cut-off tops that I replant. And off my property there won't be any. Hopefully, the woodpeckers will get busy asap. Right now I haven't seen any of them excavating holes. I've only got the one pole planted, and a hole dug for another. I better get busy.

The new poles the power company is using throughout the Big Bend area are treated to be impervious to woodpeckers. That will help prevent power outages, but not good for Elf Owls in need of nests. The electric company claims that woodpecker holes weaken the poles, causing them to break during violent storms.


No comments:

Post a Comment