Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Tufted Flycatcher---- YES!

I coerced my husband into taking me to the park to see the bird. It's a 5 hour round trip from Alpine and we stayed there 30 minutes, but it was well worth it. Here is a photo of some of the birders spreading out looking just minutes before the Tufted Flycatcher was spotted by one of them. We all rushed to the tree it was foraging in and got great looks and photos. The location is to the right of the far back person (four people in all) in the photo. I'm taking it looking east from Daniel's Ranch and the river is to the far right if you could see it. You have to click to enlarge the photo to see the person in the background.


And of the 108 photos I took of the bird, this is one of the better ones.


Nov 30: I decided to add this one because it shows the wingbars. Originally I discarded it because the background was so busy, but now have retrieved it from my trash bin. It was taken at the same approximate time as the above photo.




3 comments:

  1. Matt, sorry, I accidentally removed your comment when I meant to remove mine because it had a typo in it. I hate it when I do that. Here is Matt's comment:

    Excellent!
    Man, I hope this little guy sticks around for a few days.

    Just got back to Midland from flying out to visit relatives..
    We were planning on getting some supplies before heading back home, but now..

    Great photo Carolyn. Congrats on the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My response:

    Thanks, Matt. I feel certain the bird will stick around another month or two like the one in Nov 1991 did, but just to be sure you get to see it, don't wait too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went straight from Midland to RGV at BBNP. We got there at 1pm and left around 5:40 pm. Didn't see it. Folks had it until around 10 this morning.

    We couldn't help but go straight down there. Just now got back home to Marathon.

    If its reported tomorrow, we'll try Tues morning(we have to work tomorrow)

    I think it is supposed to get cold up here soon...

    ReplyDelete